Fundamental Orthopedic Management for the Physical Therapist Assistant, 4th Edition
Master the role and the skills of the physical therapist assistant! Fundamental Orthopedic Management for the Physical Therapist Assistant, 4th Edition helps you apply the principles of orthopedic science to physical therapy interventions. First you will learn how to assess flexibility, strength, endurance, and balance, and then you’ll become a more valuable PTA by learning the essentials of tissue healing, gait and manual therapy, biomechanics and kinesiology, and the management of orthopedic patients by region and condition. This edition includes a new full-color design and illustrations, and broadens its scope with new chapters on topics such as musculoskeletal imaging and women’s issues related to physical rehabilitation. Written by clinician and educator Robert Manske, along with a team of expert contributors, this text is your complete guide to success in physical therapist assisting!
- Comprehensive coverage addresses not only core concepts related to orthopedic care, but also includes biomechanics, pharmacology, in-depth reviews of the types of tissue healing, and the PTA’s role in physical assessment and interventions.
- Over 600 illustrations and 75 summary tables reinforce orthopedic concepts and procedures.
- A focus on critical thinking and application prepares you for the treatment room and for the clinical practicum portions of the curriculum.
- Review questions at the end of each chapter prepare you for the kind of critical thinking you will be required to do in practice.
- Key terms and learning objectives begin each chapter, serving as checkpoints for understanding and helping you study effectively for examinations.
- Glossaries in each chapter make it easy to find definitions of key terminology.
- Useful appendices provide a quick reference to information such as commonly used medications, fracture eponyms, and reference ranges for lab tests.